I found this very interesting helpful article from Robert D. Hales and thought I would share the essence of it:
1. It's not the obstacle that counts, but how you overcome it.
2. Pursue your goals with all your heart, might, mind and strength. You are doomed to failure if you pursue them in a vacillating manner.
3. From a tiny spark can come a large fire.
4. Our greatest strengths can become our greatest weaknesses.
5. Failure is one of the greatest teachers if we have the faith to learn from it.
6. It is not how you start the race or where you are during the race. It is how you cross the finish line that matters.
7. If you wish to get rich, save what you get. A fool can earn money; but it takes a wise man to save and dispose of it to his own advantage.
8. You cannot learn the Lord's will without exercising your agency and becoming accountable for your decisions.
9. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
10. The temple of God is the greatest university.
Robert D. Hales, Ensign, Feb. 2007